ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
The CTBT: Science and Technology 2017 Conference (SnT2017) takes place from 26 to 30 June 2017 at the Hofburg Palace in Vienna, Austria. It is the sixth in a series of multidisciplinary conferences designed to further enhance the strong relationship between the scientific and technological community and the CTBTO.
The conference series provides a forum for scientists from around the world to exchange knowledge and share advances in monitoring and verification technologies of relevance to the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT). Such interaction helps ensure that the Treaty’s global verification regime remains at the forefront of scientific and technical innovation.
With around 1,000 participants from over 120 countries, 650 abstracts, nearly 400 posters, and over 100 oral presentations, this is the largest Conference to date.
A comprehensive record of materials from past conferences in this series is available under Conference Series Science and Technology Series.
In the news
- Experts head to Vienna to discuss advances in monitoring, verification under UN nuclear test-ban treaty (UN News Centre)
- CTBTO Conference to Focus on Nuclear Test Verification (In Depth News)
- Überwachungs-Netzwerk für Atomwaffentests im Dienst der Forschung (APA)
- Scientific collaboration 'essential' to achieving world free from nuclear threat, UN-backed forum told (UN News Center)
- Youth "essential" in push for nuclear weapon-free world (United Nations Radio)
- Jóvenes se movilizan contra las armas nucleares (El Mundo)
- Tests nucléaires : Dr Lassina Zerbo satisfait du régime de vérification scientifique de la CTBTO (Salamin)
- Nueve de cada 10 países en el mundo rechazan los ensayos nucleares (Blasting News)
- ONU pide apoyo de la comunidad científica para que entre en vigor el tratado contra ensayos nucleares (El Mundo)
- Когда вступит в силу Договор о всеобъемлющем запрещении ядерных испытаний? (UN Multimedia)
- América Latina, un socio clave en el desarme y la no proliferación de armas nucleares (United Nations Radio)
- Scientific collaboration 'essential' to achieving world free from nuclear threat, UN-backed forum told (India Blooms)
- الأميرة سمية بنت الحسن تشير إلى أن المرأة المسلمة كانت أول من كز على دور النساء في تطوير العلم (UN Multimedia)
- To enlarge the scientific community engaged in test-ban monitoring, including among young scientists;
- To promote the wider scientific application of data that are used for test-ban verification;
- To enhance the exchange of knowledge and ideas between the CTBTO and the broader scientific community;
- To present to the scientific community the needs of nuclear test monitoring and verification.
The Conference has five scientific Themes. Click on any Theme for a description of Topics within that Theme.
CTBTO Youth Group
For the first time, the 2017 SnT Conference includes a special focus on youth and young scientists. Close to 100 members of the CTBTO Youth Group from over 50 countries are contributing actively to the substance and the coverage of the Conference and adding their voices and impressions.
SnT2017 Youth Group Album
(updated throughout SnT2017)
For more please see:
The CTBTO encourages the enthusiasm of Youth Group members in promoting the work of the Organization, the Treaty’s entry-into-force and non-proliferation in general. The views expressed in these features are those of the members and should not be seen as representing the Organization.
The high-level opening session on Tuesday included keynote speeches by the Executive Secretary of the CTBTO Lassina Zerbo, Princess Sumaya of Jordan, the Minister of Science and Technology of Angola, Maria Candida Pereira Teixeira, and other high-ranking representatives from France and Austria. Lord Browne of Ladyton delivered the closing keynote address.